There are literally thousands of blogs, full-fledged websites, books, articles and courses about making money online with a website. Millions of words have been written explaining how to turn a profit with a blog or site.
I’m going to explain how to do it — the whole thing — in three steps. Interested? Then read on.
How to Systematically Make Money Online with SEO
Achieving a goal is almost ALWAYS easier than we make it. But there is something about being human that has us over-complicat what should be pretty simple.
In the making money online arena, this couldn’t be more obvious. There are hundreds of thousands of people looking for “shortcuts” and “tips” and “hacks” to getting “free traffic” to make their journey to an online income easier.
Of course, making money online is simple. Tips, tricks and hacks certainly work — but the pale in comparison to the basics. Show me a website that has completed the basics, and I’ll show you a website that’s earning a full-time income.
The 1-2-3 Plan to Make Money with SEO
The first problem people run into is in what should be covered more comprehensively in most “make money online” blogs: how to pick the right niche. And that’s the first step. Picking the niche.
1. Pick the Niche
When you pick a topic for your website, it needs three things:
- Profitability. Don’t pick something that’s hard to make money online. “Light switches” will take years longer to make money with than “credit cards” or even “fix your credit”. Finance is almost always easy to monetize.
- Popularity. Don’t pick a topic that doesn’t get more than a thousand searches per day. Even though you can make money with less traffic, if you’re going to spend time working on a project, think long term — as long as you stick to the plan, you’ll be fine.
- Low competition. Don’t pick a topic that is outrageously competitive, like “online radio”. Check the second page of google results to see if the competition is too fierce. Chances are, if you can make it to the second page, in the long-term you can make it to the first. Especially if you follow the below instructions.
Once you’ve picked your niche, move on to the second step: building the website.
2. Build the Website
Building the website consists of getting a CMS (like WordPress, Blogger, etc), the design and adding the monetization.
- Get WordPress. WordPress is the best CMS, by far. There are more web designs out there, more special addons, it’s friendly to search engines, it’s professional, it’s easy to use. Seriously. Just install WordPress.
- Get a Design. Pick a theme that is both usable and professional looking. Two sidebars (one on each side) is almost always a good idea for design purposes.
- Get Monetized. Find 5 or so ways to make money with your website specifically in your niche. Find 2 high-paying affiliate programs, AdSense, private ad sales, and Kontera or Infolinks. This mixture can often lead to a EPM of $30-50.
- Get Content. Pretend you’ve never read that “content is king” or that you need to “consistently add content” to your website. It’s bull. You don’t need lots of content. You just need enough unique content with links pointing towards it that the search engines trust you. You don’t need more than 50 articles so long as the articles are longer than 500 words.
This shouldn’t take you more than a month, start-to-finish. Once you have your niche picked and website built, move on to step three: building links.
3. Build the Links
Link building is almost completely misunderstood and done completely wrong. You need basically two types of links:
- Lots of links from different IPs — This means that Google thinks that crappy small-potato blogs just trusted you enough to link to you. This is a question of quantity, not quality.
- Powerful links from relevant sites — This means Google wants to think that you’re an industry leader, with every major blog linking to you.
- Plan the anchor text — Anchor text is critical to actually making money with SEO. If you’re not familiar, anchor text is the text used in a link as in the “making money with SEO” link in the last sentence.
- Plan the “cruddy” links — Links matter and it is true that not all links are created equal. While most people rack their brain for how to get high authority links with their desired anchor text, don’t forget the lesser quality links from up and coming blogs, social media, blog commenting, forum profiles, and more.
- Plan the “good” links — This is a must. You simply have to have a link-building plan as quality one-way links are the absolute most important factor to climbing the organic rankings
To learn more, check out our entire sub-site titled: Make Money Online. The title is short, sweet and gets to the point. We’ll show you how to make money online using the above system and much, much more. Good luck!
UPDATE: SEO has evolved quite a bit since this was originally written. Please check out Bring The Fresh if you want to stay on top of what Google really wants.
No related posts.